They look like cookies but they are not – they are actually little quark cakes made from a “Quark-Oil Dough”. It is a very easy and very quick dough that is often used instead of a yeast dough. There is also a hearty version of this dough for pizza (I might add that another time).
These little cakes are cut out with cookie cutters so you can vary the shape to your personal preference or occasion like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines Day, Mothers Day, …
For this recipe, I decided on heart shapes since it’s May and Mothers Day is coming up. I thought you might like to bake these for your mom. Since I assume that you don’t have Quark in your fridge, you will probably have to make Quark first, here is the recipe and the video: How to make Quark.
To show you how easy this recipe is, I made this video which will lead you through the process.
Quark Cakes (Quark Kuchen)
- 200 g Quark
- 50 ml milk
- 1 egg
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 75 g sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tsp. vanilla sugar (or some extract)
- 400 g flour
- 20 g baking powder
- 1 stick Butter
- 3 tsp. vanilla sugar for the topping
- 3 tbsp. sugar and or red sparkling sugar for the topping
- Add the Quark, milk, egg and oil to a bowl and mix a few minutes.
- Add the sugar and vanilla sugar and keep mixing for some minutes.
- In a different bowl mix the flour with the baking poweder
- Add the flour mix and a pinch of salt to the bowl with the wet ingredients and knead.
- Knead the dough on the surface and roll to about 1/2 inch to 1 inch.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the desired shape.
- Add the cutout to a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and use a pastry brush to brush it on every shape.
- Bake in the oven for 10 to 13 minutes or until they almost start to turn gold.
- Remove from the oven and give a few minutes to cool to the touch.
- Again brush melted butter on a cake, then immediately dipp that side into the sugar or red sparkel sugar.
- Place on a cooling rack and repeat with every cake.
- Enjoy warm and fresh or keep in an air tight container to keep them fresh and moist.
2 thoughts on “Quark Cakes – Quarkkuchen”
Did you bake this at 350°F ?
Comments are closed.