This is an easy recipe for a white bread made from wheat flour. If you follow the steps exactly, it can’t fail and will make you and your loved ones very happy.
Most of the time I am baking bread, mixed from wheat and rye flour or other flours. Nevertheless, every now and then we are all craving a fluffy white bread. That’s where this recipe comes into play. It makes a big loaf of bread and has a wonderful taste. The crust is nicely crusty and beautiful and no matter what you match with it, it will be perfect in every case. I love it with just butter or jams, cold cuts or cheese or I use it as a side to a soup,
How To: White Bread Video
The video shows you step by step what you need to do to bake this bread. I know that not everyone has an electric mixer. That’s why I decided to show you, that it is possible to make this bread by kneading by hand. It is not difficult and only slightly exhausting. Just the amount of exercise everyone who’s healthy would tolerate without getting out of breath.
Also in the video, I explain the different Technics to make a bread rise. Bread with yeast, sourdough, no-knead bread or bread that is baked with baking powder or some soda and buttermilk. They all have their benefits in some way and their uses in certain situations.
This bread is made with yeast and is done – start to finish in roughly 3 hours. This includes the 2 times 60 minutes rising and the 35 minutes baking time. This is much faster than a sourdough bread or a no-knead bread. On the downside, a yeast bread will not stay fresh for as long a sourdough bread. It’s best to eat a white bread made with yeast on the same day it is baked. But if you can’t finish the whole loaf, don’t worry about it. This bread is amazing for the toaster or if you want to make grilled cheese sandwiches!
Pin to Pinterest
White Bread Recipe
- 500 g wheat flour (all purpose or bread flour)
- 11 g instant yeast
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 10 g sugar
- 10 g salt
- 40 g butter
- Put the flour into a large bowl.
- Make a little space in the center and put the sugar into it.
- Also, put the yeast and some of the water into the center and mix it slightly.
- Let stand for a couple of minutes until the yeast starts bubbling.
- Now, add the remaining ingredients.
- Start mixing either with an electric mixer or by hand.
- If mixing by hand: Once the ingredients have formed a solid mass, move it to a board or table and knead by hand.
- After 10 minutes of kneading, the dough should be smooth and soft.
- Shape the dough into a sphere and put it back into the large bow. Cover with a lid or damp kitchen towel.
- Let rise for 60 minutes, the dough should have at least doubled its size by then.
- Move the dough back onto the table or board and shape it into a rectangle.
- Fold the dough from the top to the center, then turn the dough 45° and again fold the top to the center. Keep turning and folding it for 16 times.
- Shape the dough in the preferred shape and place it onto a baking sheet or put it into a large bread baking pan.
- Cover and let it rise again for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F / 200°C.
- Before you put the bread into the oven, use a sharp knife and cut the top of the bread lengthwise.
- When you put the bread into the oven, spray some water to the oven walls or put a small ovensafe bowl with water into the oven.
- After 10 minutes of baking, open the oven door and release the steam. Then continue to bake for another 25 minutes or for the time it needs until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when knocking on it.
- Let the bread cool completley before cutting it.