Often sweet dishes and desserts come with a vanilla sauce in Germany. While one can buy it in Germany like in a milk jug,
or as a powdered mix to make it either as a cold sauce or warm, here I haven’t found anything like that. A very simple method to make a warm vanilla sauce though, is to use a package of vanilla pudding mix and just double the amount of milk, or – if you don’t want to end up with too much sauce, just use half of the package.
Here is, how to make vanilla sauce from scratch:
Vanillesauce / Vanilla Sauce
- 1 vanilla pod
- 25 g corn starch
- 50 g sugar
- 500 ml milk
- Slice the vanilla pod in length and - using a knife - scrape the vanilla out of it's center. Use the rest of the vanilla pod for vanilla sugar (see other recipe).
- Mix starch and sugar in a small bowl and about 3 tbsp. of the milk.
- Add the vanilla and mix it to the starch bowl.
- Bring the remaining milk to a boil - careful! Don't set heat to high and observe closely, stir milk frequently to avoid any setting on the bottom of the pot.
- When the milk starts boiling, remove it from the stove and stir the starch mix from the bowl into the pot.
- Bring the sauce back to the stove and bring back to boil for lass than a minute while stirring constantly.
- Let sauce cool, stir every now and then and use either warm or cold.