German Popcorn is – other than the American version – fat-free and sweet. It might resemble kettle corn but is still different.
Salty popcorn – I would never have expected that!
Imagine: You are at the zoo with your kids and your sweet tooth. You buy some cotton candy and stuff it in your mouth. It takes a few seconds until you realize: It tastes SALTY! You are surprised, shocked, and almost want to spit it out because this is NOT what you expected. Got the idea? This is what happened to me when I bought my first popcorn at the Houston Zoo. It had never occurred to me that it could be salty and buttery.
I never even had the idea that it could have any other taste than sugar-sweet. My whole life it was a sweet treat and now this surprise! It was completely unexpected. I’m still not really over it! *lol*
Video: How to Make German Popcorn
Try the fat-free, sweet version as we have it in Germany – what do you think about it?
I wonder how this feels the other way: from salty to sweet.
Maybe surprise someone the same way I got surprised and then let me know what happened.
I mean: It’s like biting into a banana and it turns out to taste like a pickle. Kind of unexpected, huh?
Please don’t get the wrong impression: There is nothing wrong with salty popcorn. It’s just a matter of “what we are used to”.
Which version do you prefer in the future, after trying my recipe? Is my homemade sweet popcorn as weird to you as the salty version is to me?
Please let me know, I really want to know!
The Microwave Popper for this recipe can be purchased HERE!
Popcorn – German Style
- 50 g corn (try to get NonGMO)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Heat the water.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water.2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp sugar
- Put the corn in a microwave safe bowl.50 g corn
- Add the sugar water until the corn is completely covered.
- Put the lid losely onto the bowl.
- Microwave on high until popping sound becomes less frequent.
- Careful: HOT! Let stand for a couple of minutes before opening lid and before touching the popcorn.
- Warning: A regular plastic container will get too hot and melt. Use only a microwave bowl for this.