There is a seemingly endless variety of cold cuts, cheeses, bread spreads and salads that we put on our German bread and Meat Salad is just one – but extremely delicious – example.
Video: How to German Fleischsalat
Homemade Fleischsalat / Meat Salad
While one can buy meat salad (Fleischsalat) in every supermarket packed, most Germans prefer to buy it at the butcher. There it is freshly made and tastes best while the industrial packed meat salad tends to have a strong taste of vinegar.
However, there is no need to go to the butcher if you spend 5 minutes on making your own German Fleischsalat. It is very easy and you will find the ingredients at every US grocery and hopefully also in other countries.
I don’t really have exact measurements here. It is something that I do by eye measure but I will try my best to give you a rough estimate of how much I am using for a nice batch of it.
Pin German Meat Salad to Pinterest
German Meat Salad – Fleischsalat
- about 3-4 tbsp mayonaise
- 10 slices mortadella
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 pickles
- some pickle water
- some salt
- some pepper
- some paprika
- 1-2 spritzer Warchestershire Sauce
- Mix the mayonnaise with 1 to 2 tbsp. of pickle water.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika and Worcesterhsire sauce and mix everything.
- Mix in the onions.
- Cut the pickles into small and very thin slices and add to the mayonnaise mix.
- Cut the mortadella very thinnly and mix with the other ingredients.
- Last, chop the parsley and mix it into the salad.
- You can enjoy it immediately but it tastes best if you chill it for 2 hours.