Eggs in Mustard Sauce are also called mustard eggs. This recipe is a childhood memory that I probably share with a lot of Germans since it is often served in school kitchens. It is very budget-friendly (who wouldn’t like that these days) and easy to make.
I didn’t make this recipe in a while but my kids could still remember eating it before and they like it. For foreigners, it might be odd to make a mustard sauce but then again there is a thing called mustard dressing and people are familiar with that. So, maybe it’s worth trying this recipe if you like mustard dressing or mustard in general.
Video for Eggs in Mustard Sauce
The Base for the Sauce …
… is a simple roux. You just make it with butter, flour, and milk and it can be rather liquid in consistency. Then you add the mustard and season it with salt, sugar/honey, pepper, and a bit of lemon juice to taste.
Which Mustard to Use
You can basically use any mustard that you like. If you prefer spice mustard, use that but if you are more into sweet mustard, chose that one. You can also make your own mustard with my recipes for sweet and extra spice mustards!
If things are a bit too hot, just add a bit of sweetness to it, like sugar or honey. If you want the mustard to be more dominant in the sauce, just add some lemon juice or vinegar to increase the taste.
Pin Eggs in Mustard Sauce to Pinterest
Eggs in Mustard Sauce – Traditional German Recipe
- 4 Eggs
- 30 g Butter
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 500 ml Milk
- 5 tbsp Mustard of your choice
- some Salt
- some Pepper
- some Lemon Juice or Vinegar optional
- some Sugar or Honey optional
- Boil the eggs until cooked through but still a little soft in the center.4 Eggs
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add the flour and stir.30 g Butter, 1 tbsp Flour
- Let it "sweat" a little, then add a little bit of milk and stir it in until it's smooth. Repeat and add the milk little by little, stirring rigerously to avoid lumps.500 ml Milk
- Take the sauce from the stove and add the mustard. Add salt, pepper (if needed), and season with honey or sugar and lemon juice to your taste.5 tbsp Mustard, some Salt, some Pepper, some Lemon Juice or Vinegar, some Sugar or Honey
- Serve with rice or potatoes.