Baked Camembert with a crisp breaded layer around is a wonderful comfort food in winter. My husband and I enjoyed it often when we lived in Germany.
Since we live in the US, we can’t buy the frozen version of this delicious snack. I have to make it from scratch and that is not complicated at all. It is prepared within a few minutes and the frying and baking don’t take long.
How to make Baked Camembert: Video
With Cranberry Jam
Actually, any kind of jam fits perfectly with this melted camembert. Traditionally we have it with “Preiselbeer Konfitüre” which is cranberry jam and that is a match made in heaven.
Salad as a Side
In restaurants the serve this dish with a small salad as a side and also some baguette. I think this is the best pairing but you can also just eat the baked camembert with the cranberry jam and enjoy a glass of wine with it.
- 2 Camembert
- 1 ct. Egg
- some Flour
- some Bread Crumbs
- some Oil for frying
- 4 tbsp Cranberry Jam or Sauce
- Unwrap the camembert.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- Put the flour and the bread crumbs each on a seperate plate.
- Whisk the egg on a third plate.
- Bread the camembert: Put it in the flour, then egg, then bread crumbs and repeat the process until the camembert is completely covered in bread crumbs.
- Heat a pna with a lot of oil and fry the camembert from both sides.
- Put the camembert in a baking pan and bake for a couple of minutes until the cheese melted all the way to the center.
- Serve with the cranberry jam or sauce and maybe a salad as a side.
3 thoughts on “Crisp Baked Camembert”
I find that this dish is better if you remove the skin of the cheese. I then chill it before coating. Don’t fry beforehand put straight into the oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes. serve with any fruit preserve and toasted bread.
Looks great, have to try
Comments are closed.