When I came across this Apricot Cake recipe the first time, I knew I would have to bake it. You know, one browses recipes and often thinks “Huh, that looks nice.” but then forgets about it. With this one it was different: Love at first sight!
I actually couldn’t stop thinking about baking it and bought apricots to make it. But then life got in the way and I didn’t find the time, the apricots needed to be eaten or otherwise been thrown away and so it took a while until I finally had the time, the apricots and the almond flour for the crust.
After baking it the first time we loved it but everyone agreed that it needs more sugar in the filling. I will change the amount of sugar in the recipe from 50 g to 100 g for the filling. However, in the video I made it with the regular 50g since I had very sweet apricots.
Apricot Cake Video
Apricots and Almonds – a genius combination
Though you can’t freeze quark, you can freeze this cake after baking! Once the cake is out of the oven and cooled, you can put it in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer for another day. Since I baked two cakes, I did it with one of them. The filling becomes kind of a cheesecake filling and that’s why you can freeze it even though it is with quark.
For the almond flour, I used the bright, fine sort. It doesn’t contain the skin of the almonds. Since there is some almond flour in the dough, it is difficult to roll out. That’s no problem, you can put it together like a puzzle when you transferred it to the baking pan. Then you can either smooth it with your fingers or with a tool.
I made some sort of grid with the remaining dough but if you don’t want to do it, you can instead make some crumbles and put them on the cake.
The recipe is meant for a regular sized baking pan. In the video, I couldn’t resist using my new baking pan which is a lot smaller (that’s why I had to bake two cakes). But I’ve also baked it in other shapes and pans as you can see in the pictures.
The vanilla sugar – like always – can be home made with my recipe.
Have fun with this recipe and I hope you like it as much as we do!
Pin this Cake Recipe to Pinterest
Apricot Cake with Almond Crust
- Add the flour, almond flour, butter and sugar to a bowl and mix to a smooth dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling wrap and let settle in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the Quark with the eggs, vanilla, apricot jam and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the corn starch and some lemon cest from the lemon.
- Cut the lemon in halves and squeeze one half for the juice.
- Add the juice to the bowl and mix everything.
Prepare the pan and cake
- Preheat the oven to 395°F.
- Grease the baking pan.
- Use 1/3 of the dough and role it flat.
- Transfere the dough to the baking pan and smooth it out.
- Make sure the dough rises at the outer edge – use your fingers to create that edge.
- Add the filling to the pan – pour it on top of the dough and even it out.
- Cut the apricots in halves, then in Quarters and finally into eights.
- Add the apricots on top of the filling and let them sink in a little.
- Roll the remaining dough and cut flat strings.
- Place the dough strings onto the cake in a diagonal grid pattern.
- Bake the cake for about 50 minutes.
Put some freshly whipped cream on the cake and drizzle some honey on top before eating.